Thursday, February 02, 2006

My One Complaint About 'Atlas Shrugged,' 2006

Stuart K. Hayashi

This is a revision of a post that appeared on The Fiftieth Star one year ago and later here at The Rebirth of Reason.


February 2, 2006, marks 101 years to the day of Ayn Rand's birth. That day of the month is of particular importance in American culture because, every February 2, if a politician crawls out of his hole and sees his shadow, we will have 60 more years of the welfare state.

As for Miss Rand's magnum opus, I enjoyed every syllable on each of the 1,087 pages of the paperback edition I read. The prose sparked vivid images that made me feel as if I were gazing upon an exquisite painting.

I was so enthralled by the grandeur of it all that I was quite sad to see it eventually come to an end.

And so I have only one complaint about Atlas Shrugged:

It was too short.